Impact investor Goodwell Investments, in collaboration with Oikocredit and Global Partnerships/Eleos Social Venture Fund (GP SVF), has invested $8.5 million in equity in Zambian social enterprise Good Nature Agro (GNA). GNA supports smallholder farmers in southern Africa, providing them with a range of services, including access to inputs, input finance, training, and a guaranteed market for high-value produce. The investment aims to support GNA’s growth, expand its client base to 50,000 farmers by 2027, and deepen engagement with clients while innovating in agricultural supply chains.
- Investment and Participants:
- Goodwell Investments led a $8.5 million Series B round for Good Nature Agro (GNA), partnering with Oikocredit and Global Partnerships/Eleos Social Venture Fund (GP SVF).
- The investment aims to support GNA’s expansion and growth in reaching more smallholder farmers.
- Good Nature Agro’s Impactful Model:
- Good Nature Agro supports around 30,000 smallholder farmers in southern Africa through its agritech-based business model.
- The model includes access to inputs, input finance, training, and a guaranteed market for high-value produce, contributing to professionalizing farmers’ businesses and alleviating poverty.
- Growth and Ambitions:
- GNA has consistently increased farmers’ productivity and incomes while improving their access to finance.
- With the new capital, GNA aims to grow its client base to 50,000 farmers by 2027, focusing on digital and financial inclusion, whole farm income integration, genetic development, and innovation.
- Investors’ Perspectives:
- Goodwell Investments emphasizes GNA’s farmer-centric business model, which integrates smallholder farmers into the agricultural value chain.
- Oikocredit sees the partnership as an opportunity to help low-income African farmers enhance their livelihoods through improved yields and access to markets.
- Global Partnerships expresses confidence in GNA’s ability to create impact, citing the enterprise’s adaptation and scaling in the face of challenges.
- GNA’s CEO Statement:
- Carl Jensen, CEO of Good Nature Agro, acknowledges the support of investors and welcomes Oikocredit as a new investor, endorsing GNA’s approach and potential.
The $8.5 million Series B round led by Goodwell Investments for Good Nature Agro reflects the ongoing commitment to supporting innovative African companies contributing to inclusive societies. GNA’s impactful business model, focusing on smallholder farmers and integrating various support services, aligns with broader efforts to enhance agricultural practices, increase productivity, and alleviate poverty. The investment will play a crucial role in supporting GNA’s growth ambitions, enabling it to reach more farmers and further innovate in the agricultural sector. The collaboration of impact investors underscores the importance of addressing challenges in the agricultural value chain and promoting sustainable practices for positive social and economic impact.